Dundee University student counts down to National Awards final
It’s countdown time for a Dundee University student who is preparing to face the judges in a national property competition, the Association of Women in Property (WiP) National Student Awards.
Architecture student Claire O’Neill has already triumphed in the regional Awards when she competed against 4 other students.
Now, with the national Final just two days away, Claire must sharpen her knowledge of the property and construction industry as she vies for the 2014 title, against ten other ambitious young women.
The 2014 Awards, now in their eighth year, involved 86 students, representing 47 Universities from across the UK. The degree students, who are nominated by their lecturers, are studying a wide range of built environment disciplines including architecture, civil engineering, surveying, planning, interior design and construction management. From the original 86, only 11 make it through to the Final.
Elspeth Burrage, national chairman of WiP, said: “This is an extremely challenging process for these young women. So far, they have been asked to present on a piece of coursework when they needed to impress and inspire the judges and face some searching questions.
“Now, the national judges will ask them to step further outside their comfort zone as they aim to get an insight into the contender’s general knowledge of the property and construction industry and her views on some topical issues. We have been wowed by the talent and professionalism exhibited by these Finalists and wish them every success on 17th September.”
The Awards, which this year are sponsored by DTZ, Bouygues UK and Turner & Townsend (and regionally by Aberdeen Harbour Board, with support from Ryden), aim to:
- Recognise the talent available to the industry at the earliest possible stage
- Highlight to industry the necessity to link with universities early in the educational process
- Broaden the opportunities open to students as they progress through their university career
- Improve the knowledge of those at university on the career options available
- Improve the students’ skills to present their coursework
- The National Student Awards ‘Best of the Best’ final takes place at Claridge’s in London on Wednesday 17th September, with the successful finalist winning £700 and a year’s membership of Women in Property.