Hotel plan approved for Glasgow’s Anchor Line Building
The proposal by ICA is for a full refurbishment of the upper floors to create aparthotel accommodation, containing a mix of studio and one bedroom apartments.
A sensitive 1-storey extension at roof level, set back from all edges, will provide additional accommodation while respecting both the classical symmetry and materiality of the building.
In a statement ICA wrote: “The roof extension, visible from George Square, has been proposed in a modern language of metal and glass in order to maximise views out over the city and contrast with white faience cladding of the main elevation.
“The concept of ‘traveller’ and ‘destination’ bring the interior of the building together to create a luxurious environment. Internally, many original features remain, such as glazed tiles, terrazzo flooring, timber wall panelling and fireplaces.
“These have been incorporated into the design, both acknowledging the architectural quality of the existing building, and adding a sense of the building’s history to the newly refurbished accommodation.”
Originally built in 1907 by James Millar for the Henderson brothers of the well-established shipping company, Anchor Line, the building became a centre for exotic global travel in the twentieth century.