North Lanarkshire Council unveils £50m home improvement investment
Ambitious investment plans totalling £50.9 million will deliver significant housing improvements to council homes across North Lanarkshire, benefitting tenants and helping make significant strides towards reducing the local authority’s carbon footprint.
Replacing all kitchens and bathrooms by 2021, installing more modern and efficient heating systems and doubling the investment for window replacement, are just some of the projects announced.
Approval for this capital programme budget was given at North Lanarkshire Council’s recent enterprise and housing committee meeting.
Key investment plans include:
- Rolling out ‘A’ rated high efficiency gas boilers to replace older less efficient heating systems. And, following on from successful heating trials of air source heat pumps within four off-gas grid villages, Banton, Greengairs, Salsburgh and Gartness, an installation programme will get underway;
- Almost doubling the investment for a new window replacement programme. This will see the installation of more new windows than ever, improving the appearance of homes and their insulation;
- Improving the insulation standards of the council’s Swedish and Weir timber stock. These will be brought up to modern standards while ensuring their unique appearance is maintained;
- New roofing and rendering to improve thermal insulation and the appearance of homes, and
- Implementing refurbishment plans for Glen, Millbrae, Blairgrove and Merrystone towers in Coatbridge, including new external insulation and roof replacement.
Councillor Allan Graham, convener of enterprise and housing, said: “An additional £3m has been added to this year’s budget to allow us to carry out more improvements.
“Our planned projects will make such a difference to our tenants. For example, by installing new high quality windows and more energy efficient heating, we’ll help to reduce heating costs and, in the longer term, help cut their heating bills and make their homes more comfortable to live in.
“We’re committed to ensuring all our housing stock is maintained to the highest standard and will continue to deliver an efficient and effective housing service that meets the needs of our tenants.”