Planners recommended Trump homes for approval despite ‘significant’ legislation breaches



Proposals for more than 500 homes at Donald Trump’s north-east golf course have been recommended for approval despite planners claiming it “significantly breaches” legislation.

Councillors on Aberdeenshire Council’s Formartine area committee are due to give their views on the plans for a site within the Trump International Golf Links estate at Menie, near Balmedie.

The plans, which include the construction of more than 500 homes as well as shops, offices and food outlets, have received more than 2,900 objections.

In November, it emerged that a council memo described the plans as a “weak substitute” for the original proposals put forward 10 years ago.

Planners are recommending granting of permission in principle, subject to several conditions, including addressing tree loss concerns.

The report, which members of the Formartine area committee will discuss next Tuesday, said the economic impact of the homes have “considerable merit”.

However it also claims the proposal is a “significant” breach of planning policy and does not comply with the previously granted outline planning permission for a golf resort.

The report said: “The consultees have clarified that the outstanding requirements could be addressed and for this reason, the planning service consider it acceptable in these circumstances to allow these matters to be delegated to enable the applicant to provide all the required information.

“Should these matters not be addressed within a reasonable timescale, the planning service would refer this application back to full council.”

A decision on the planning permission in principle is due to be made at a meeting of the full Aberdeenshire Council later this year.



Related posts