SELECT to take annual Toolbox Talks on the road
A nationwide tour of technical presentations dealing with up-to-the-minute matters of interest to a wide number of trade professionals is about to begin.
An annual event since 2013, the SELECT Toolbox Talks Tour 2019 is aimed at members of Scotland’s electrotechnical industry.
The tour will visit twelve venues from the Islands to the Borders.
Topics aimed at addressing contemporary issues of concern to Scotland’s electrical professionals will this year be:
- Fire Detection & Fire Alarm Systems in Dwellings.An amendment to BS 5839-6 this year brings changes to standards for fire detection and fire alarm systems. In Scotland, further changes are coming due to the extension of the tolerable standard and updated guidance on the repairing standard that will see the introduction of enhanced fire safety requirements across Scotland’s housing stock.
- RCD Selection in accordance with Chapter 53 of BS 7671:2018. An overview of RCD types, correct selection and selectivity to ensure correct levels of circuit and individual protection. In this topic we’ll cover which circuits require RCD protection and the types of RCD protection.
- Building Standards in Scotland an Update. Following the review into Building and Fire Safety Regulations across the UK, we’ll look at what changes to expect in Scotland as the full recommendations from the Dame Judith Hackitt report are implemented. We’ll also report on an important change to the way Certificates of Construction are accessed and completed.
The free-to-attend events are expected to attract large audiences of directors and managers, company owners, qualified electricians and apprentices.
Alan Wilson, SELECT’s acting managing director, said: “The steadily growing numbers attending our Toolbox Talks is highly encouraging and given this year’s important topics we expect to attract record numbers of professionals.
“One issue in particular which we expect will be well-attended, and is already creating a buzz throughout our industry, is the impact of the 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations which come into force next year.”
The 2019 Toolbox Talk Tour kicked off at The Walled Garden in Edinburgh today. Other venues are:
- Borders, Tweed Horizons, Wednesday 8 May;
- Dundee, Apex Hotel, Tuesday 14 May;
- Glasgow, Hampden Park, Wednesday 15 May;
- Dumfries, Easterbrook Hall, Tuesday 21 May;
- Ayrshire, The Gailes, Wednesday22 May;
- Inverness, Tulloch Stadium, Tuesday28 May;
- Aberdeen, Pittodrie Stadium, Wednesday 29 May;
- Oban, The Wide Mouth Frog, Tuesday 11 June;
- Isle of Islay, The Bridgend,Wednesday 12 June;
- Orkney, The Pickaquory Centre, Tuesday18 June;
- and Shetland, The Lerwick Hotel, Wednesday 19 June.
Dave Forrester, SELECT’s head of technical services, said: “Every professional needs to keep up to date with their skills and knowledge and Toolbox Talks are designed to bring the latest developments into focus.”
As well as the technical presentations, the events feature a small-scale exhibition, which this year will feature SELECT; SJIB; Megger; Martindale; Aurora Lighting; KSR Lighting; AICO; Scolmore; Wylex; Electrical Industries Charity; and SECTT.