Winners revealed at Glasgow Institute of Architects design awards 2016
A zinc clad house in rural North Ayrshire has been selected as the winner of this year’s Supreme Award by the Glasgow Institute of Architects.
A GIA Design Awards panel chaired by Michal Cohen, of Walters and Cohen Architects, described ‘Newhouse of Auchengree’ by Ann Nisbet Studio as “a house with a strong sense of place and location, which made the architectural experience ever more complex. Undoubtedly a great place to live & a fantastic piece of architecture.”
The Education category featured three award winning buildings, the Westwater Building and Saunders Centre by Page\Park and James Gillespies High School by jmarchitects; praised as “a well organised and well scaled series of intricate buildings that form a new campus each with clear programmed identity”.
This year’s Sustainability award, sponsored by Brown and Wallace, was awarded to HLM Architects for ‘Tigh na Croit’, a passive house standard highland home. Page\Park’s Westwater Building was also celebrated for its use of timber, and awarded the ‘Wood for Good’ prize.
The Dakota Deluxe, a reconfiguration of a 1960s office building on Pitt Street by 3DReid was awarded in the Commercial category.
Awards were also given to Glasgow Women’s Library, by Collective Architecture and Ballymena Heath and Care Centre, a collaboration between Glasgow based Keppie Design and Hoskins Architects.
Mhor Micro, a duo of pavilions in Perthshire forming part of an annual creative laboratory, was celebrated in the Small Works category for providing “a unique opportunity for young architects to prototype and create beautiful small scale installations in an inspiring location”.
This year also saw the return of the Small Practice Portfolio, awarded to Ayr based ARPL. Dress for the Weather and Roots Architecture were both awarded commendations in the category.
The awards were presented by Michal Cohen and GIA President Tim Gray at the annual members dinner, sponsored by IKO Polymeric at Oran Mor on the 4th November 2016.
The GIA Design Awards 2016 were kindly sponsored by Tobermore and are open to all practices within the Glasgow Chapter boundary. Practices outside of Glasgow are also invited to submit projects completed within the chapter boundary in the last year.
Full list of awards / commendations:
- Saltcoats Town Hall Restoration - McLean Architects - Commendation
- Paisley Community Safety Hub - Collective Architecture - Commendation
- Mhor Micro - Line Architecture - Award
- Graphical House - INCH Architecture - Commendation
- Brackenhill Cottage, The Lodge - jmarchitects - shortlisted
- Newhouse of Auchengree - Ann Nisbet Studio - Award and Supreme Award
- Fernan Gardens - Anderson Bell and Christie - Commendation
- Tigh na Croit - HLM Architects - Sustainability Award
- Sighthill Regeneration - Collective Architecture - Shortlisted
- Parkview - Page\Park - Shortlisted
- Dakota Deluxe - 3D Reid - Award
- Finnieston Sub-station - NORR - Commendation
- Premier Inn - Holmes Miller - Commendation
- Glasgow Collective Studios - Dress for the Weather - Shortlisted
- The Westwater Building - Dollar Academy - Page\Park Architects - Award and Wood for Good
- The Saunders Centre - The Glasgow Academy - Page\Park Architects - Award
- James Gillespie’s High School - jmarchitects - Award
- Holmes Miller - Harris Academy - Shortlisted
Leisure / Arts
- Glasgow Women’s Library - Collective Architecture - award
- Helensburgh Outdoor Museum - Austin-Smith Lord LLP - commendation
- Theatre Royal Dumfries - ARPL - Shortlisted
- Ballymena Health and Care Centre - Keppie Design Ltd and Hoskins Architects - Award
- Lennoxtown Community Hub - Anderston Bell and Christie - Commendation
Small Practice Portfolio Award
- APRL - Winner
- Dress for the Weather - Commendation
- Roots Architecture Ltd - Commendation